Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Part #5: Anderson Bridge

Anderson Bridge, crosses the mouth of the Singapore River, connects Empress Place with Collyer Quay, and is in the Downtown Core located in the Central Region. Governor Sir John Anderson, K.C.M.G. Commander-in-Chief of the Straits Settlements, for which it was named after, declared it officially opened in 1910.

Made of steel, Anderson Bridge's basic arched structure serves as a functional support. It also has three steel arches with powerful ribs, two rusticated archways and a fluted pier at each end. Erected across the mouth of the Singapore River between 1908-1910 by the Public Works Department, the superstructure was constructed by contractor Howarth Erskine Ltd and the bridge itself built by A. Butments - The Westminster Construction Co. Ltd. The plaque on the bridge is of a stone specially imported from Egypt. Built just after the reclamation of the south bank of the Singapore River, it was opened on 12 March 1910, by its namesake, Sir John Anderson, K. C. M. G. Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner for the Federated Malay States (1904 - 1911).

Anderson Bridge was built to cope with the city's growing vehicular and pedestrian traffic, the load of which Cavenagh Bridge could not handle. It was meant to replace Cavenagh Bridge, a more primitive bridge which proved too low for vessels during high tide. However, Cavenagh Bridge was spared from demolition and converted into a pedestrian bridge instead. During the World War II and the Japanese Occupation, the Japanese displayed heads of beheaded spies, on the steel columns of the bridge. Anderson Bridge was refurbished in 1987.

Things to take note of (Landmarks):

Asian Civilisations Museum
The Esplanade
Marina Bay Sands (you can see it from here)
The Marquis Monument


No comments:

Post a Comment